To access your User Profile:
- Hover your mouse over your user name (found in the top right hand corner of the screen)
- Select "Edit My Profile" from the menu
On this screen are options to specify your name and how it will be displayed on your site, your email address (for admin purposes), other personal information and personal options.
Your Profile and Personal Options
The only pieces of information Edufoios require you to include in your Profile are your e-mail address and a nickname. Edufolios only needs your email address for your Edufolios’s administration purposes. Your email address is never sent to any other site, and it is never displayed on your site (unless you put it there manually). Only the other registered users of your Edufolio have access to the e-mail address you provide. Also, remember that each user’s email address must be unique.
All of the other personal information asked for here is optional, and, again, it is never sent to any other site or person.
From the top down...
If you're working with code snippets (I'm looking at you Computer Science educators wanting to show what your students are up to) then you'll like these two options.
- Visual Editor – If you want to write with code instead of our visual editor then checking this box Disables the visual editor when writing, and uses the plain HTML editor. Clicking it again will turn the visual editor back on :) (phew!)
- Syntax Highlighting – Checking this box Disable syntax highlighting when editing code.
Now these settings will appeal to us all:
- Admin Color Scheme – Check this radio button next to the colour scheme desired for the Administration Screens. The left two colours are menu background colours and the right two are roll-over colours. Don't use this as an excuse to procrastinate (and not fill your portfolio with glorious evidence!)
- Keyboard Shortcuts – Checking this box Enables keyboard shortcuts for comment moderation. Keyboard shortcuts are designed to allow you to rapidly navigate and perform actions on comments. The Keyboard Shortcuts article from Wordpress describes the various shortcuts in detail.
- Toolbar – Check the box to display the Toolbar when you are viewing your site. That's the bar along the top of your site that lets you get to the admin panel
- Language – You can select the language you wish to use while using the Administration Screen without affecting the language site visitors see.
Your Personal Details:
- Username – You cannot edit your Username because it is used as your username during the login process. Even an Administrator cannot change your Username. Usually, no one else ever needs to see your Username. If you desperately want to change this please contact support and we'll see what we can do.
- First name – Enter your first name in this text box.
- Last name – Enter your last name in this text box.
- Nickname – Enter the nickname as it is required for every user. It may be the same as your User Name or it can be different. If you don’t supply a Nickname, then the User Name will be placed in this field.
- Display name publicly as – Select, from the drop-down, how your name is cited on your Edufolio. This defaults to your first and last name. You can choose from several of the above pieces of information: Nickname, Login name, First Name, Last Name, “First Last“, or “Last First“. If you prefer “Last, First“, insert a comma after your last name in the Last Name text box above and choose the last option from this dropdown.
- E-mail – All users are required to list an e-mail address in their respective Profiles. The E-mail address must be unique for each user. Your Edufolio will use this address to notify you of new comments to your posts and for other administrative purposes. To reiterate what was said above, only other registered users of your blog will have access to this e-mail address. It is never sent anywhere.
- Website – Enter your website address.
- Biographical Info – Enter a short description or profile of yourself here.
- Profile Picture – Your picture in Gravatar is shown here. To change it, access to the https://en.gravatar.com/. See also Using Gravatars.
- Please note: Changing your profile picture here does not affect the image shown on your site. For more information on that please see: Edufolios AU theme: Adding my cover and profile image
- Generate Password – You can click this button to generate a new password for the account. This will show you a new field with the generated password. If you choose to change this password, a checkbox will appear to confirm that you want to use a weak password. You can check this box to confirm that you want to use your own password instead of a secure one.
- Strength Indicator This indicates if the password you entered is Very Weak, Weak, Medium, or Strong (displayed in green). The stronger the password the more secure your login. Hint: The password should be at least seven characters long. To make it stronger, use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols like !”?$%^&).
- Log Out Everywhere Else – You can click this button to log out of other devices, such as your phone or a public computer.
Remember to click this button to save the changes you have made to your Profile and Personal Options. After clicking this button you should see a splash message at the top of the screen saying User Updated. If you don’t see that message, then your changes are not saved!