Stories of practice are a powerful way to show how what you're doing every day meets the focus areas at various career stages. Pre-service teachers may wish to place evidence into a story to form part of the Graduate Teacher Assessment (GTPA) and those applying for HA or Lead will want to write stories, with annotated artefacts, to submit for stage 1 assessment.
There are a couple of ways you can do this with Edufolios.
Option One - Write one story in one evidence post
If you're coming to Edufolios with the specific aim of writing about something you've already done (perhaps a project you've rolled out for Lead), then you can place all of that evidence into one longer Evidence Post.
This method is not recommended if you are reflecting proactively and are wanting to group current evidence posts into a story. However, this is a great way to write a complete story of progression and impact. You can write your post and include your artefacts and annotations in one piece of writing just as you would with any other reflection piece.
When you have written your longer reflections, you may then want to present them using the navigation menu underneath the 7 standards of your Edufolio. See "Creating Place Holders and Groups for your evidence"
Option Two - Group many evidence posts together to create a story
If you've been following the Reflectionist way of working and have been regularly documenting your practice as you go, you might have lots of smaller pieces of evidence that you would like to group and present as one story of practice or evidence set.
Of course, it is wise to ensure that each of these posts have clear connections to the focus areas and career stages you are demonstrating. You might like to read our Tips on writing for accreditation page for more help there.
Either way, when gathering evidence for HA and Lead (as shown in the image above) you will want to be able to organise and group content under one easy to access heading using the menu systems.
Creating Place Holders and Groups for your evidence
To group your evidence posts together you will create a menu item in your navigation bar with a page attached to it. This page will then act like a menu for your evidence sets or stories of practice.
On both Edufolio themes, you can change and add to the menu items (just underneath the standards boxes) using the "Customiser". To access this, log in to your Edufolio and head to your dashboard.
- When on your dashboard click the big blue button labelled "Customise Your Edufolio". This will open the Customiser for your Edufolio, and show you a preview of your Edufolio on the right hand side of the screen.
Note: Changes you make here are shown in real-time on the right hand side of the screen, but are not public, and visible to anyone else, until you click the "Publish" button. This allows you to experiment with the changes until you are happy before making them "live" on your Edufolio.
- Next, click on the “Menus” item in the menu on the left.
Here you will be shown the current menus on your Edufolio – most commonly you’ll want to change the “Header Navigation Menu”.
- Once you click the menu name, you’ll be shown a list of the current menu items (shown below).
- Click the “Add Items" button and you'll see a second set of options appear.
- In the "Add New Page" box, name the menu you would like to use for your stories. For example, "Accreditation" or "Evidence". Click the +Add button and you will see this new menu item appear at the bottom of your list.
- To create subsets of evidence underneath this, simply repeat steps 4 and 5 again. The Add Items menu screen should still be open (if it's not, simply click "add Items" again). Add the title of the first story of practice into the box and click the +Add button again.
- Now, in the list of menu items on the left hand side, simply drag the story subset to the right and it will pop underneath the main menu item. This will create a tiered menu system on your site's navigation menu.
Note: You can also add place holder pages here for your references, observation reports and other supporting documentation for HA and Lead accreditation.
Of course, you can come back any time to add new evidence set menus.
- Once you're happy click the blue "Publish" button, found at the top of the menus, to make them live on your Edufolio.
Quick Note! Consider the length of your page names. If they are too long they will spill off the end of your menu and be hidden automatically (to prevent them overlapping other page items). If you find you've run out of room (on the menu), consider grouping page items under other pages to group / organize them into more of a hierarchical structure - you can go up to 4 levels deep! So you have plenty of room to organize menu items in more of a structured way, so consider shuffling your menus into a structure that suits your needs.
Examples of this in action.
Edit the Page you created and add links to your Evidence Posts
- Head to the Pages menu and select "All Pages". You will see the page you created listed here with the title you gave it in the menu's editor. Hover over it's title and click "Edit"
- Now you are looking at a blank page on which you can add links to your collections of evidence.
- On this page you might like to start by writing an introduction to the story of practice. An overview. Then, if you are linking to multiple shorter posts in your evidence collection, you can add them as hyper links onto this page.
- To do this, click the Insert/Edit Link button
- In the empty box which appear start typing the name of the post you'd like to link into this story. You will be shown a list of posts to chose from
- Select the post you'd like to add by clicking on it from the list
- Click the button with the Blue Arrow to insert that link onto your page
- Click "Update" on your page to publish this new content. You now have a place holder and a menu system to access your stories of practice.